Reporting to: Operational Management
Supervising: Apprentices and Agency Staff as needed
Equipment Technicians are responsible for the preparation, maintenance and testing of lighting, Power, Grip, textile, and other supporting equipment. Ensuring high standards of preparation and quality control for each type of equipment prior to rental. Technicians are allocated to one Operational department at a time, but there is a requirement to move between Operational departments as and when required by Operational Management to learn new equipment and provide cover during absences and support during peak workloads.
Secondly, Equipment Technicians are also required to work in Equipment Control Operational departments as an example Unloads/Returns as and when required by Operational Management. Unloads/Returns involves loading and unloading equipment from vehicles, scanning, sorting, and relocating equipment as required. You will also be required report any issues that arise – such as damaged or missing equipment and maintaining a tidy and safe working environment.
Operational Departments Duties include:
- Preparation of equipment for rental as specified by their Department Supervisor and/or Equipment Coordinators along with the priority of work.
- Delivering equipment to despatch bays as per the Standard Operating Procedure.
- PAT testing of all portable electrical equipment and ensuring other mechanical, visiual and functional checks are made.
- Ensure all shortages are passed to equipment coordinators as soon as possible.
- Making sure all function checks are carried out on all items prior to leaving the warehouse to ensure the equipment works correctly on set.
- Ensuring all items are scanned and all non-coded items are accounted for on the system as per individual department procedures.
- Ensuring all equipment pulled for dispatch is routed to the correct bay at the correct time as per Equipment Coordinator’s and Department Supervisors requests.
- Minor maintenance of equipment. Work on a “ten-minute rule” as a guide.
- Reporting of damages to their Department Supervisor so that the repair procedure is instigated.
- During quiet periods maintaining a full workflow of testing equipment to shelf and improving storage solutions and labelling in the departments.
- In Some departments, liaison with external cleaning and repair contractors is needed, including checking items in and out of the repair ticket system.
- Supervision of apprentices and casual labour to ensure best practice is being adhered to.
- Responsible for keeping workstation and department areas clean and tidy.
- Liaison with as required with their Department Supervisor, Equipment Manager, Operations Manager to ensure correct stock levels are maintained.
Unloads/Returns Duties Include:
- Unloading of vehicles adhering to relevant risk assessments.
- Ensuring all unloads are logged appropriately using RT Pro inventory software.
- Recognising and counting non coded equipment and entering counts on the inventory software.
- Using computer and handheld scanners to check and adjust inventory status.
- Recognise sub hire equipment as a priority, tag sub hires where appropriate and place in the defined area/bay
- Ensuring work areas are kept clean and tidy.
- Checking returned goods for damaged and/or missing items and reporting where found.
- Correct use and maintenance of PPE and manual handling equipment.
- Accurately and efficiently moving goods between different locations within the operation.
- Where required, ensuring correct use of handheld scanners to return goods.
- Being part of the team contributing to a safe working environment.
- Immediately escalating to their Department Supervisor or the Equipment Manager any instances of stock anomalies or inaccuracies within the department they are working.
- Complete any other ad hoc requests as required.
- Must be IT literate with an understanding of Microsoft Outlook.
- Able to learn the MBS stock control inventory system (Rental tracker Pro).
- Must be willing to move between departments increasing knowledge of the company’s products and taking part in appropriate training.
- Must be able to confidently communicate with internal and external clients receiving instruction and giving advice.
- Team player with a strong work ethic.
- Be able to build relationships with colleagues, suppliers and the MBS sales teams.
- To be able to work under pressure to changing deadlines.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as workload demands.
- Be willing to help in other departments when time allows to fulfil orders.
- This person will be self-motivating and organised with the ability to plan workload.
- Experience in the lighting industry would be an advantage, though not essential.
- Experience with stock control systems would be an advantage.
- Position involves some heavy lifting.
- Available to work a 40-hour week on a roster basis between the hours of 07:00 to 20:00 Monday to Saturday. Some additional weekend and evening working will be required.
Part of the role may involve taking of project briefs and working autonomously to fulfil them, for example during department moves, stock takes and audits. Working as part of the wider warehouse team, if needed to cover absences, high workloads, and unforeseen circumstances.
Weekend and extended hours working is required as the business demands. We work to a highly skilled clientele who demand high levels of service and response. Attend training and briefing as required.
When required to work and or assist in other departments within the business where you are already trained to do so and/or capable of doing so.
The salary for the role is negotiable, depending on experience. We also provide a range of other great benefits, including 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, private health insurance, great pension scheme, life insurance and an annual discretionary bonus scheme.