Reporting to: HR Manager
The HR Advisor will operate in a generalist role and is responsible for HR administration and providing end to end HR support to the business.
The HR Advisor will work as part of the wider HR team to provide support to managers and employees on a range of areas including employee relations, recruitment, induction, training, and performance management, offering balanced advice that manages risk but drives results.
With an excellent understanding of HR legislation and good practice the HR Advisor will also contribute to improving the department, by suggesting and implementing process improvements that add value to the HR function and wider business.
To be a point of contact for Managers and employees, providing advice and assistance on people issues. Working in partnership with managers providing advice, education, and coaching on employee relations issues in accordance with policies, procedures, and best practice, escalating issues to the HR Manager where appropriate.
- To prepare offer letters and employment contracts for all new starters, overseeing the onboarding process for a new starter.
- To conduct induction meetings with new employees and workers and liaising with Managers to ensure they are aware of their responsibilities in the induction.
- To verify all incoming background screening checks for new starters (references/medical/health) and flag issues to the HR Manager.
- To oversee the probation review process, giving advice on performance and conduct issues.
- To oversee the recruitment process, acting as a point of contact with agencies, screening CV’s, and supporting managers with interviews.
- To oversee the offboarding process for leavings, calculating annual leave and writing resignation acknowledgement letters.
- To promote HR policies and procedures and support Managers as required.
- To ensure accurate HR records are kept for all employees including full-time, part-time, casual workers and agency staff, ensuring electronic personnel files are maintained and filing/archiving is completed in a timely manner.
- To prepare HR letters such as disciplinary meeting invitations, outcome letters and change of terms letters.
- To oversee sickness absence, ensuring return to work meetings are completed, Bradford factor scores are calculated, and appropriate action is taken, and long-term absence cases are managed. Highlighting any issues to the HR Manager as appropriate.
- To attend meetings where necessary to take notes, providing advice and support.
- To update and maintain the HR system (ADP) with all employee data changes.
- To administer the Company’s benefit schemes including, pensions, healthcare, income protection and life insurance.
- To oversee the internal training course platform and arrange external training as required.
- To oversee the performance management system ensuring it is used correctly by management.
- To update the Company organisational chart.
- To co-ordinate fire and health & safety processes and procedures as requested by the Director of Sustainability & Risk Management.
- To assist with organising staff events (Christmas party, free food Friday).
- To provide HR reports as required.
- To identify and implement process improvements that add value to the HR function.
- To support and coach the HR Administrator.
- To assist the HR Manager in developing and implementing new projects, taking the lead where appropriate.
- Proven work experience as an HR advisor, with good knowledge of managing employee relations.
- Good knowledge of employment legislation and HR best practice.
- Strong commercial awareness to understand the needs of the business.
- Personable with strong communication and relationship building capabilities across all levels of the business.
- Robust written communication skills, for both informal and formal communication.
- Trustworthy and able to handle sensitive information confidentially.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel packages is essential.
- Well organised, able to prioritise, meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Excellent attention to detail with high levels of accuracy.
- Drive, self-motivation, and a positive can-do attitude are a must.
- Hold a CIPD qualification (or working towards).